In a message dated 2/21/01 1:02:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< My understanding was the city-dwellers tended to be for daylight savings
 time since it gave them an extra hour of sunlight in the afternoon, and
 farmers tended to be against because it subtracted an hour from the morning,
 although this may be in disagreement with what is happening in Mexico if
 Mexico City turns out to be a more vociferous opponent than the more rural
 areas.

I have never understood this rationale--especially for farmers. The sun is up
as long as it is up, regardless of what we do with our clocks. What is it
that prevents farmers from getting up when the sun rises, and working til it
sets, no matter what clock time that is? What problem does clock manipulation
solve for them?

Brian Doherty