The usual argument is that the energy cost of raising a human child is so great, and
gestation and birth sufficiently disabling, that an important criteria in mate
selection for human females is the reliability of the mate as a provider. EP people
claim to have evidence to support this. It is true that, they also claim evidence that
there is some biological programming of cheating behavior and that females use very
different criteria in choosing mates to cheat with than to live with. But, from what
I've seen of the theory and evidence, the suggestion that women would want to mate
with a men who are about to go off to war would seem to run contrary to most thinking
on the issue. Further, as I noted in my original post, those coming back would likely
be a more select bunch than those who went off so that from the woman's perspective it
is better to wait. - - Bill Dickens

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 797-6113
FAX:     (202) 797-6181
E-MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AOL IM: wtdickens

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/03/01 11:12AM >>>
Possibly.  In many species of birds, the female will mate with high
quality males who are often not around b/c high quality males have many
mating opportunities.  The female then nests with a lower quality male
who raises the young.  I don't actually know if humans do this, b/c
humans don't always fit the models.

Mitch Mitchell