> What makes that sharing theft?

The reduction of royalties from sales.

Fred Foldvary

I want to do a quickie analysis of this before proceeding to the discussion
about the alleged economic utility of unrestricted immigration.  Although
this sounds like a legal or moral question, the transformation of monopoly
rights into an ethical rather than utilitarian question has important
economic consequences by impeding reform and even debate about these
government-granted temporary monopolies.  (And if this is really a question
of property rights, isn't it unethical to place an expiration date on these
rights?)

Using the same reasoning commonly used to protect intellectual monopolies,
if I own the only grocery store in Toadville Arkansas, giving me a de facto
local monopoly, and you open up another store and underprice me, thus
depriving me of a substantial portion of the profits I was making while I
benefited from a de facto monopoly, then you are a thief, because you have
reduced the profits from my sales.  Copying is an illegal infringement on a
legally protected monopoly position, but that is not the same thing as
theft.  Theft deprives one of the possession of his property.  Growing
vegetables in my back yard that are identical to those sold by the local
grocer will reduce his profits, but depriving the grocer of potential
profits is not the moral equivalent of depriving the  grocer of his actual
goods.  But if government made a law granting the grocer a monopoly and
forbidding me from producing identical goods, then growing veggies in my
backyard has become an illegal infringement of a legal monopoly, even though
it is not theft.

----- > However, having available a lower bottom wage certainly makes that
area more
> attractive/ profitable, potentially, for new jobs.  I'm pretty sure rates
of
> job creation are higher where there are more immigrants,

That would be California, America's no. 1 destination for new immigrants.
How's their rate of job creation? Any data?

Of course, I realize that public policy in California has gotten
increasingly dysfunctional for the last 20 years or so, but that is part of
the immigration equation too.  Most immigrants come from countries with more
statist political and economic traditions than the Anglo-Saxon world, and
especially the United States, and political traditions tend to be very
conservative; that is, they tend to pass like religious affiliations to the
next generation.

>(Wouldn't it be
interesting if gov. Arnold decided to register all illegals, and not deport
them as long as they pay some $100/ month to the state of CA.?)

California already has a policy of not deporting or reporting illegals, and
it actively seeks to facilitate the acquisition of legal documents like
driver's licenses that allow them to integrate as much as possible into
California's economy.  And they don't even have to pay your $100 a month for
these services (which actively aid and abet a violation of federal law--what
happens if a private citizen does this?).  Why do you think California is
the most popular destination for immigrants, even as it experiences a net
exodus of the nativeborn?

> I oppose using force to reward creators for their work.

Why? Is it a question of utility or "morality" for you? If morality, what is
the source of this moral dictum? As far as I can tell, categorical
prohibitions on force are unprecedented in mankind's ethical systems.  Even
the Amish spank their children and punish (by shunning) adults who break
their communal rules, although they will not protect themselves from armed
attack.

> And some other form of donation/ voluntary/ prolly tax-funded rewards for
> creators will be found ... for medical & drug research.  Prolly not for
film
> nor music nor software -- open source all infotainment.

In neo-classical economics, monopolies have been justified only by their
social utility.  But in recent years, there doesn't seem to be any debate
over the social utility of copyright and patent monopolies.  Instead, the
public debate often seems to regard such monopolies as the equivalent of a
property right, which is absurd.  No business has an intrinsic "right" to a
monopoly.   I also doubt that the abandonment of all copyright and patent
laws would maximize utility either, but I think the monopoly benefits have
become excessive in some cases--for example, copyrights have been extended
longer than necessary to provide a production incentive; indeed, reducing
the length of copyrights might even increase the incentive to produce more
creative material.  Patents are granted today for trivial improvements, such
as Amazon.com's "one click" purchasing over the internet.  In the case of
file sharing of  popular music, one has to consider both whether technology
has made music copyrights essentially unenforceable--especially when the
development of improved technology is being discouraged or prevented in
order to protect the monopoly profits of the pop music industry; and one
also must weigh the relative utility to society of pop music as opposed to
technology and information.  These items are not at all in the same class as
far as objective benefits to society.

Of course, one could argue that the state has no business making judgments
of social utility at all, that the market alone should determine this; but
in that case, the logical conclusion is to oppose all copyright and patent
laws, since they presume  the state should make a judgment about the social
utility of innovation.

~Alypius