On 2003-10-31, Fred Foldvary uttered:

>> At least in some cases we can analyse local currencies as instances of
>> tax evasion.
>
>So why not just use federal paper dollars for that?

Because if you get caught, you'll pay for it. In case of local currency,
the tax authorities do not bother as easily because of the cost and the
trouble with drawing the line between mutual help and legally taxable
transactions. (From the econ standpoint, there's no such line. If we were
to be perfectly logical about it, tending to your children is a service to
your spouse with a taxable value.)

>> From this perspective local currencies can also be a means to
>> circumvent labor market rigidities.
>
>Again, why not just use federal cash?

Because it isn't always available if the relevant markets are rigid. Local
cash on the other hand can be created on demand, and even neglecting that,
is somewhat decoupled from the ordinary cash economy.

--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], tel:+358-50-5756111