Can the quality difference between a DVD and a VHS tape be measured?  Between a 1975
Ford Sedan and a 2004 one?  I know the good folks at the BLS try, and I admire the
efforts, but how can features like improved visual quality or the safety advantage of
antilock brakes be measured, other than the willingness of people to pay for them?  So
what happens when economies of scale render the new, improved technology cheaper to
produce than the old?