Although I would gamble Schwartz has more ideological than empirical
reasons for his conclusions, is there trend data available over multiple
years?  I don't think a point estimate is any way to gauge something like
"happiness with respect to time."  As for surveys, from what I know of the
experimental literature, economists seem to put very little credence in
surveys aside from gathering rather concrete data (e.g. demographics,
independently verifiable data).  My impression is that survey research is
generally looked down upon -- if for no other reason than similar research
in other fields is often highly contestable and unsophisticated (in both
senses).  Surveys also beg the question of the incentive and ability of
respondents to answer in an externally valid way.  Monetary incentives used
to help ensure externally valid behavior seem to be a publishing
requirement of modern experiments -- incentives completely lacking by
nature in a survey.  However, this may be completely different in
particular subfields.

-- John Morrow