"Roger J. Forsgren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Here's a problem I have with economics, and also with engineering, to

tell the truth: it's this idea that if we can't quantify a thing,

then it doesn't exist.<

Ask him about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and Goedel in mathematics.

> Of course in engineering it's a lot easier to attach quantities to things,

plus or minus

> since we deal in physical entities.

They only appear to be so.

> I guess it comes down to this: what's it worth to have a huge

national goal, like going to Mars?

The worth is subjective.

>they can't

quantify the ‘inspiration factor’ for lack of a better word.”<

How do you know?

> My question is, as someone who makes economic analysis their profession, how do you respond to criticisms like the above, and explain it to laypeople?<

If they make assertions, ask them how they know.

Fred Foldvary