Dear armchairs,

charitable organisations claim that paying for blood donations could worsen the
situation because it mostly attracts people from high risk groups (junkies etc.)and
those who donate blood are people with a low risk of "poor blood quality". But
otherwise there is a lack of supply of blood because a lot of people have not enough
incentives to donate blood because of high opportunity costs of time and maybe fear of
pain and health problems. Do you imagine solutions to attract more donors without
select people with low "blood quality"? My take: Maybe suppliers of blood products
could pay firms for attracting workers or health insurance companies to give insurants
incentives to donate blood? At present german red cross germany has a campaign to
attract donors with a whopper menu. I dont belief that it is enough to attract donors
with a ordinary wage rate. And maybe this attracts risky people more than healthy
donors. What is the situation in the USA? Are there better solutions?

Greetings from Germany

Steffen