In a message dated 6/30/2000 6:19:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Question 2: Why don't *private* schools increase their salaries in cities
 with high costs of living?

 -fabio  >>

Probably because certain positions in private schools are dream jobs:  the
reasoning is that it does not pay well, but the intangible benefits
(discipline and academic rigor) are exhilarating.  It seemed to me (while
teaching in North Carolina) that many low-paid teachers could afford to teach
only because of well-paid spouses; I recall hearing about young professors
being advised to marry well-to-do women to achieve the same security (a
generation or so ago).
Dan Monroe
Latin/Greek teacher
Coos Bay, Oregon