Bryan Caplan wrote:
> > People talk a lot about various irrationalities
> > that they might fall into and ways they try to compensate for that.
> > People talk about realizing that each person tends to think highly of
> > him/herself, and trying to compensate for that.
>
>People "talk a lot" about this?!  Maybe in a few odd sub-cultures.  I
>can't recall any family member every talking this way, for example.
>Maybe you're meta-rational, but I can't think of anyone else who
>resembles you in this way. :-)

How about this example.  People seem to believe that they tend
"stereotype" groups of people based on small possibly non-
representative sets of examples, and consciously try to overcome
this tendency.  Overall, I'd say they do a reasonable job of
correcting for this possible cognitive bias.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323