On the adequacy of M/H's SES measure, I know list member Bill Dickens
has done a lot of work on this.  He revised their measure to include
more information.  Better if Bill summarizes, but on the whole I'd say
he concluded that M/H's SES moderately understates the importance of
SES, but intelligence still matters a great deal.

On the other hand, as behavioral geneticists (and Chris?) will point
out, since SES partially reflects genotype, this measure *understates*
the real importance of intelligence.
--
            Prof. Bryan Caplan               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

  "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different
   reasons: because our set does not work, or because we dislike
   the program we are receiving.  Similarly, we may be dissatisfied
   with ourselves for two quite different reasons: because our body
   does not work (bodily illness), or because we dislike our
   conduct (mental illness)."
                   --Thomas Szasz, *The Untamed Tongue*