"Alexander Robert William Robson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" wrote:

> Interestingly, the popular vote is also so close that Gore's
> national margin is probably well within that caused by voter mistake and
> human error nationwide (and also in other close states).  I wonder if
> Gore's supporters who are arguing that a revote should take place in
> Florida would also argue that revoting be done elsewhere?

Here's a thought:

* States should declare a election a draw if the victor's margin is
less than some legislated value, like 0.2%.

* In the event of a draw, there should be a cursory investigation of
willful election fraud or massive (> 0.2%) incompetence/negligence/mi
sfortune.  For example, you may have all heard of the story where a
Michigan precinct could not report because a bear was holding the
polling place hostage.

* If there are indictable allegations of fraud or sizable ballot
mishandling, the election is reheld where the irregularities took
place, otherwise the draw stands.  The winner is whomever ended up
with more votes in the draw, or the winner of a coin toss.

I like the toin coss idea because it would be incredibly
entertaining.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ikaran.com/Sourav.Mandal/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"