Dear Armchair economists,

   a few days ago, I had a discussion with a german economist
who obviously had never heard about libertarian ideas.
We discussed Intellectual Property, and he took the common arguments
to defend it:

* he talked about using simple models, and then proceeded with one
 that took into accoutn the beneficial effects only,
 and would specifically exclude any detrimental ones from his model.
 I responded that by that standard, just anything with a benefitter
 could be justified, including robbery or the tithe.

* He said that the goal of IP was to promote creation.
 I said that there was already creation before IP,
 and that the role of IP with respect to creation was not so clear;
 in particular as to _what_ kind of creation it encouraged
 (useless noisy rubbish as opposed to real art).

* I said that the first and foremost economical effect of IP
 was creating monopolies. He agreed, but said that this effect
 was maybe secondary with respect to the incentive for creation.
 I responded that not only couldn't the monopoly effect be secondary
 (and he had no argument to back this assertion), but it ought to be primary,
 since the direct effect of the law is the very monopoly, and not incentive:
 there is no injection of magic inspiration serum into people's head;
 instead, it is precisely the beneficial effects of the monopoly that
 are relied upon to create an incentive!

Now, if you look at the big picture, it is laughable:
the global effect of the monopoly is destruction of opportunities,
in exchange of a concentrated creation of opportunities at a few spots.
If we are to believe that there is any correspondance between opportunities
of acquiring wealth and incentive for intellectual creation, then this
global destruction should correspond to a global disincentive, which is not
seen, with local spots of much increased incentive which is seen.
What is the defining characteristics of these spots of much increased
opportunity? The fact that the earnings are much undeserved as opposed
to what they would be in absence of protection. I.E. the more they are
protected, the nearer they are to robbery.

I leave the last word to Bastiat (who btw was mistaken about IP
in a quite interesting way). Any comments?

What a lot of trouble to prove in political economy that two and two make four;
and if you succeed in doing so, people cry, 'It is so clear that it is boring.'
Then they vote as if you had never proved anything at all.
        --Frederic Bastiat, "What Is Seen and What is Not Seen", 1850