I have a related query. The framers of the American Constitution were
concerned about corruption in the election of the President. That was one
reason they didn't let Congress elect the President. Now we have landed in a
situation where the electoral vote will be very close and the incentive to
purchase the vote of a "faithless" elector will be enormous. I guessed that
$20 million would be a small price for an electoral vote that led to the
presidency. Challenged to justify that estimate, I could not; it was just a
guess. Two questions:

1. How might we price an electoral vote for this presidential election?

2. Would an auction of all electoral votes yet a better outcome than our
current system?

John Samples
Cato Institute