I would say; it is not really a default, but a money financing budget deficit. I theory there is an inflationary impact due to money financing. Institutionally, however it is a very important aspect regarding Central Bank independence, since it has became more or less clear that inflationary path in a economy depends, crucially, of Central Bank independence. In countries in transition, say form est Europe or many developing countries it is veru usual tah government do not playback debt to Central Banks. In fact there are do debts to Central Bank in a way we  register  in financial markets. Usually governments sells bonds to central banks, afterwards Central Banks officials clean its balance easily devaluating currency for example, at its happens in this country Venezuela. There are many other ways to deal with it, but at the end of the day, it becomes just money dropping over the economy.
Alexander Guerrero
PhD (London)
UCV, Caracas

Ismail Alimanik wrote:

Hi everyone!
Has anyone come across a paper available on the net dealing with debt default by a government
to their own central bank. I think I should be more specific. If a government owes a central bank 80 million dollars and if it defaults on its debt, could the government get away without doing much harm to the economy?

-Ismail

Ismail Ali Manik
Ministry of Finance
Maldives

Listen to your favorite music while you work!
- http://www.com/

begin:vcard
n:Guerrero;Alexander
tel;cell:016/6352186