Please do remember that government default to debt on central bank is
anticipated!!!!, in other words, there is no goverment debt to central bank in
practice, it is a case of pure money financing fiscal deficit....anticipated,
since agents do no expect goverment to pay these type of "debts".
Alexander Guerrero

Fred Foldvary wrote:

> > > Has anyone come across a paper available on the net dealing with debt
> default by a government
> > > to their own central bank.
>
> From: "Alexander Guerrero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I would say; it is not really a default, but a money financing budget
> deficit.
>
> If the government defaults on its debt at time T1, the budget deficit has
> already taken place before T1.  Therefore, the default at T1 is itself not
> a deficit.  The default reduces the budget expenses of the government, so
> after T1 it can more easily have a balanced budget, and if it does so, the
> default has helped eliminate future budget deficits, especially since the
> government will not easily be able to borrow funds after T1.  If the
> central bank is forced to buy government debt after T1, then it is not an
> independent central bank, but in effect a branch of the treasury department
> issuing fiat currency.
>
> Fred Foldvary
begin:vcard
n:Guerrero;Alexander