In the following example, it isn't the taxing itself that promotes growth,
but its spending.

If a state uses tax money to attract rich tourists to the area (by
advertising, for example), that could promote consumption, in such a way
that the tax promotes growth more than it hampers it. Whereas if there was
no tax (i.e. if it was voluntary), individual businesses would be reluctant
to use their money that way, even if they knew that everybody would be
better off if everybody invested their share into the collective fund
(prisoner's paradox).

I would be interested to know if there are real-world cases of this, or of
any tax promoting economic growth.

Gustavo