"Gray, Lynn" wrote:

> But in terms of getting into a high ranking grad school isn't going to the
> right undergraduate institution important?
>
> Lynn

        You can get into a top graduate school from any decent undergraduate
program in the country so long as your grades are superb and you have
prepared yourself well for the intense math of the first several years.
Undergraduate education is very similar everywhere - especially in the
standard math classes that you will want to take to prepare for grad
school (see earlier posts).

        I taught at Ball State University for a number of years which is far
from the best school in Indiana let alone anywhere else.  Yet, we were
able to send students to Chicago when those students had prepared
appropriately.  Of course, if you go to an undergraduate institution
like Ball State and you want to go to Chicago then you had better excel.

Alex
--
Dr. Alexander Tabarrok
Vice President and Director of Research