My book recommendations are anything by Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky (separately -- unless they've written in collaboration and I don't know about it); Lies My Teacher Told Me, by Loewen; the Native Tongue Trilogy, written by feminist linguist and sci-fi author Suzette Elgin-Haden, especially the first in the series, entitled, Native Tongue, but if I could make a plea for you and the others out there to read anything, it would be any of the books authored by and/or about Mumia Abu Jamal.  My two favorites are, All Things Censored (the hardback version comes with a CD and you can hear the author's voice, its rich vibrancy won't be forgotten), and Death Blossoms.

I appeal to you all to read Mumia's writing at this time.  I am the court stenographer who gave the affidavit as to Judge Sabo's statement, as the trial was beginning, that he was going to "help 'em fry the nigger," "'em" being "them," the DA's office.   What gave me the courage to do this was having happened quite by accident upon Mumia's writings (the circumstances I give below, as briefly as I can) and knowing that if he is brave enough to write the truth, then I must be, also.

In 1998, at the persistance of the judge i worked most often for in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, I returned to work as an official court stenographer in his courtroom.   Although that particular judge had always been one I used to say, "when he puts on those robes, I'd put my life, or that of my mother, my child, anyone, in his hands," I found I could no longer say that.  He was now running for a political appointment, and things had changed.  Though he still tried to be fair and honest, the "political machine" is strong, and witnessing daily the struggle of conscience not only he, but others in the courtroom went (go) through was overwhelming to me, and at lunch I walked the streets aimlessly with tears flowing down my cheeks more often than nought.   One day someone shoved a one-page, both-sides typed on paper in my hands.  Being a compulsive reader, I read it -- and was immediately filled with a warm comfort.   Someone! else knew my thoughts and expressed not only them, but my feelings, in simplistic eloquence.

The name at the end of the document, signing as author, was Mumia Abu Jamal.

Truly,
Terri Maurer-Carter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them."  -Baruch Spinoza, Philosopher