I have seen that the U.S. Postal Service still loses money (not secondhand;
I've seen actual figures), but (unfortunately) cannot point out where I read
it.  So, consider this a "You're on the right track - don't stop now" kind
of affirmation.

Maybe Thomas Pynchon was on to something ...

-JP

>From: "Bryan Etzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: USPS
>Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 02:12:07
>
>In "The Machinery of Freedom" Friedman says that the Post Office loses
>money
>on 3rd class mail, while UPS and FedEx type companies make money on this
>type of delivery.  Is this still true or has this changed since the 70's?
>
>thanks,
>Bryan

I'm never gonna work another day in my life.
The gods told me to relax; they said I'm gonna be fixed up right.
I'm never gonna work another day in my life.
I'm way too busy powertrippin', but I'm gonna shed you some light.

- Monster Magnet, "Powertrip"