Well, the issues outlined below are being dealt with in a globally diffuse
way. I am in contact with Mike Nickerson in Canada who's organisation is
attempting (seemingly successfully) to switch attitudes away from dodgy
economic accounting to that of measuring the well-being of individuals and
the community.

Here's the email I received today:
"Dear Friends of Sustainability:

Just before Christmas I sent notice of the
resolution passed by the City of Ottawa in support of
the "Canada Well-Being Measurement Act".

It was a busy time so I'm repeating the notice
here in case some of you who were preoccupied then
might be interested in following up now that we are
safely into the New Year.

Municipal endorsement could be very persuasive.
In one motion, Jean Chrétian, Paul Martin and local MPs
all received word that Bill C-268 was a matter of interest.
In addition, it provided a hook that could make news on
any media in the area.

The Ottawa resolution went like this:

"That the City of Ottawa support the goals and
principles contained in Bill C-268, "The Canada Well-Being
Measurement Act" and that this be communicated to the
Prime Minister, the Finance Minister, all area MPs and
to Mr. Joe Jordan, MP, Leeds-Grenville."

Change the name of the Municipality and this
wording could be used anywhere.

Ken Billings conceived the tactic.  He asked at the
City Office who on Council might be interested in well-being
measurement.  He didn't get the right person at first and had
to follow the run around through several contacts before
finding a Councilor who would bring the information to
Council.  A one page summary was provided and a copy of
"Measuring Well-Being" (available from us).  We were then
asked to send enough copies for distribution to each Councilor
and the staff involved.
Some time later, the issue came up at the appropriate
Committee, a resolution was proposed, unanimously agreed to
and sent to the Council as a whole where it was adopted.

We would be pleased to send you literature for
raising this issue with your Council.

Imagine if we had a couple dozen municipalities or
more expressing support for the Act.  A half dozen of you asked
for literature toward this end, even during the pre-Christmas rush.
Who else would like to try and get their Council involved?

An added perk for your Municipality:
In addition to introducing the proposal for national
measures, you can tell the local Council that the Federation
of Canadian Municipalities has a program to help set up local well-being
measurement programs.  Information on this is available at:
http://www.fcm.ca  under:
"Quality of Life in Canadian Communities"
Details are available from:
Marni Cappe, (613) 241-5221, ext. 247
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Brenda Rosser
[Who is also working with groups of local citizens for similar change in
Tasmania]