Walt Warnick wrote:
>... the business cycle behaves strikingly like an automatic control
>system that has a positive feedback loop and damping. ...
>The parallel goes further. ... a stable automatic control system involving
>continuous feedback can become unstable if that same feedback is, instead,
>sampled.

Control theory is an application of single-agent decision theory, and since
economics is basically multi-agent decision theory, I'd say control theory
is closer to economics than to physics.  Of course one often needs to know
some details of the physics of the situation one is controlling, but usually
control problems are dominated by decision theory issues, not physics issues.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323