> Also, organs might be removed before people are
> really dead

You mean like that scene in Monty Python's "The
Meaning of Life"?  ;-)

Personally I would be less concerned about the nearly
dead in U.S. hospitals than I would be about third
world street urchins.  An enterprising organization
could certainly profit from importing their organs, I
suppose.  Leaving the truly poor out of this, it seems
like a net benefit.  If I were essentially terminally
ill I would probably choose to sell my organs for the
benefit of my loved ones (and cut my lingering death)
rather than pursue expensive medical treatments that
just pull resources away from those who can actually
be helped.

Or do you think I'm way off base?

-jsh

--- "Robert A. Book" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=594&u=/nm/20020214/hl_nm/wannabuyanorgan_1

> (I'm appending the text below.)
>
> On the other hand, there are some disturbing
> "agency" issues involved.
> For example, family members expecting payment for
> organs might
> authorize less-aggressive medical treatment than the
> patient might
> prefer, at a time when the patient may not be able
> to speak for
> him/herself.  Essentially, this would be people
> "stealing" the organs
> when the "owner" is unable to prevent theft.  This
> is probably already
> a problem for people with large estates and
> relatives who like money
> more than people; alloing organ sales will expand
> this problem to more
> people.

; after