Howdy,

I'm not so sure I understand what D. McCloskey's piece
is saying.  When he remarks that, "The result of
reading 44 pages of hundreds of scientific results
from the front line of applied economics was mainly
that I believed surprisingly little of it," I am
reminded about the old saying that new paradigms arise
in science not because scientists become convinced,
but because the advocates of the old paradigms grow
old and die and are thus replaced by younger
practitioners of another school of thought.

I recently spent some time looking up the principle of
flight on the internet, and was suprised that what I
thought was a well established fact, that the Venturi
and Bernoulli effects are responsible for flight, is
actually untrue, i.e. the effects cannot possibly
generate the forces needed to lift a plane, and that
planes fly because of the Coanda effect.  And then I
learned that the Coanda effect is in fact a fairy tale
and flight arises from the combinations of the Venturi
and Bernoulli effects!  These assertions came from
presumably credible sources!  If this sort of
controversy can exist regarding something so well
established as flight, why would dis-"belief" and
controversy be an indictment of econometrics?

Surely such controversy is a far cry from claiming
that econometrics is merely another astrology, which
what the S.I. author seems to be claiming (in my
opinion).

Regarding something Fabio noted, if all we have are
statistics without a priori rules, how do we know what
is an empirical fact and what isn't?  For the sake of
argument, one could reject Fabio's use of Occam's
Razor by noting that Lott's hypothesis explains more
empirical "facts" than his critics' hypothesis, e.g.
violent crime rates rise in counties that border
states that pass concealed carry laws.  But how do we
know whether such a rise in crime rates is a "fact" or
a "statistical fluke?"  Does it all boil down to which
celebrity one enjoys more: Rosie O'Donnel or Charleton
Heston?  Surely, there must be more to it than that,
isn't there?

Respectfully yours,
jsh