> >why is such a large fraction of state funding based on sales taxes?
> I notice a lot when I pay income tax; I am only, and only occasionally,
> mildly annoyed when I pay sales tax.
> Michael

Indeed. I've always thought that economists should develop a cognitive
taxonomy of taxes. What kinds of taxes do people notice? When do
consumers percieve something as "payment" rather than tax? How big does a
tax have to be before it gets observed as "tax"? How big does it have to
be before it's seen as burdensom?

Such a theory, I think, would have some interesting implications. For
example, if a tax were small enough to fall below the perception
thresh-hold, then nobody would mobolize to oppose it, or politicians would
have little to gain campaigning against it. A conclusion is that many
regulatory agencies may survive because of funds generated from such small
taxes - the phone tax, auto registration, cable taxes, etc.

This would imply at least two kinds of political survival - bureaucratic
survival could happen because of voter approval (Social Security) or
voter non-observation of taxes (phone taxes).

Fabio