On Thursday 28 March 2002 16:06, you wrote:
> Claim: "auto manufacturers won't make cars that last long (say, 20 years of
> reliable operation) because they would make less money that way".
>
> Your opinion?
>
> Is the technology for reliable vehicles feasible for mass production? Would
> there be enough demand for such vehicles (i.e. the profit margin per
> vehicle is big enough to offset the loss due to fewer sales)?

I have to disagree with you on this one. When I was a kid Volvo used to
advertise with the fact that on average their cars lasted well over 20 years.
Since then cars have only become more reliable, even though not all cars are
built to last 20 years, there are brands like Volvo, Mercedes and even Peugot
that have a reputation for longevity. I cannot remember anyone I know buying
a new car because their old one broke down beyond repair, which gives me the
impression that car manufacturers do build cars that last as long, if not
longer, as consumers want them to last.
The fact that people (in Europe) replace their car long before it is worn
out says enough...

Krist