"Would social unrest increase if the market were, for once, left alone?
Has compromise moderated the calls for its destruction?"
Anton, Thanks for clarifying for me.

Armchairs, this is more along the lines of what I meant by my question.
It seems to me, at least from talking to many other students here at UGA,
that popular opinion is that capitalism will be the downfall of us all and
our only hope is for further government intervention.  If the compromise of
unemployment benefits and other programs was designed to "moderate the calls
for [capitalisms] destruction," it is not immediately obvious that the
comprimise was successful.

Bryan