I wrote:
>If the reason that government gets bigger as taxes become more efficient
>is that most people have a downward-sloping demand for government, and
>so "buy" more of it as the price gets lower, then it seems paternalistic
>of me to keep the price artificially high, just because my demand is less.
>I'd like to have a reputation as a neutral economic advisor, who will
>advise people on how to get what they want, even if what they want isn't
>what I would prefer them to want.

Three people responded.

Wei Dai wrote:
>Government can get bigger if whoever is in control of the government
>forces the rest of the population to pay for it. Even if a majority of
>people want bigger government, the losses suffered by the minority can
>more than make up for the gains of the majority. ...
>Why would you want a reputation for being willing to advise people even
>when it's against your self interest, or your analysis of social welfare,
>to do so? I mean, I can see why you would want a reputation for always
>providing honest advice when you agree to do it, but why would you want to
>be known for never turning down a request for advice?
>What if a slave owner asked you how to improve the productivity of his
>slaves? Would you answer him?

As an professional advisor hopeful, I want to pick a simple
neutral-but-moral policy about how I give advice and stick to it.  I'm not
satisfied with just saying things that are true - I also don't want people
to fear that I will shut up whenever speaking might hurt some group I favor
over others.  And the more exceptions and complications my policy has, the
harder it is for others to monitor it and check whether I'm following it.
So it must be simple.

Among the simple neutral-but-moral policies about advice, I've chosen this.
On average I think it good and moral to give people more of what they think
they want, even when I think they are mistaken about what they want, and
even when there are modest, but not enormous, negative externalities from
them getting what they want.  So even if I believed there were modest
negative externalities from smoking, and that people were mistaken in
thinking the enjoyment was worth the health risk, I would still give advice
about how to lower the cost of cigarettes.  Persuasion is the best way to
try to overcome their mistakes, and if externalities are modest then the
perceived gain to the people who want it should outweigh the harm to others.

I apply the same logic to government.  If I believe, as I do, that people
often overestimate the value they get from government, I should fix that if
I can by persuasion.  So the issue here comes down to: how large are the net
marginal externalities from most people choosing more government when it
gets cheaper?  The perceived harm within the people who favor more
government must be less than the benefit, or they wouldn't favor it.  So
we're left with estimating how many people don't favor more government, and
their perceived harm.  And I estimate this group and its harm is too small
to tip the balance.

Wei asks about the case of advising slave owners about productivity
improvements.  So how large are any negative externalities on the slaves
from improving productivity, versus benefits to both owners and slaves?
Without any particular reason to expect them to be enormous, I guess I'd
give the advice.

Btw, if people could be persuaded, this is the form of government I'd
advise them to choose: http://hanson.gmu.edu/futarchy.html

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323