Howdy,

While I am quite literally a flunkie, I hope I can
offer some insight.  I think the question being asked
results from the inherent sloppiness of language,
specifically, the word "market."

A market, my intuition tells me, is any place, real or
virtual, where goods and services are
exchanged...voluntarily.  "Goods," "services," and
"voluntarily" should be taken to be defined quite
loosely.  For example, if the state confiscates my
car, that is not a voluntary exchange; however, if it
then sells my car for a set, non-negotiable price to a
willing buyer, that is voluntary.

I think the question derives from the fact that
formally defined concepts like "competitive market,"
and ill-defined political concepts like "free market"
are grouped under the umbrella term "market."  Hence,
using the umbrella term I can assert that the United
States has a market economy whereas North Korea does
not.

Does this mean that North Koreans do not obtain their
goods at a market?  I don't think so.  They go to the
state run store to buy meat voluntarily.  It's just
that the price of meat and the quantity available is
set by a central authority.

So when the alien asks, "What is a market?" and "What
is a market economy" she's really asking about two
different concepts.  The former is a more or less
tangible "institution" (that's the wrong word, I
know), and the latter is an umbrella "concept" for
competitive or free markets per se.

So when we say that China doesn't have a market
economy, what we are saying is that China's markets
are ones where competition, or laissez-faire do not
obtain, i.e. we are saying that China suffers from
dirigisme.  We are not asserting that goods and
services are not exchanged, we are merely using sloppy
language.

Best to you,
-jsh