Is the reason most restaurants in the US don't have pay toilets the same
as the reason that many grocery stores in the US don't have a bring your
own bag/buy a bag policy?  Both pay systems seem to be more common in
Europe.

Also, both the grocery stores and the types I restaurants that would
seem most likely to have a pay toilet policy (fast food-type joints, I
guess) seem to have low profit margins.  Is there something that would
cause a business that has low profit margins to have "give aways".  I
would think that customers to either type of business would be very
value orientented and the firms would do all they could to lower the
price- i.e. no freebies.  But, is it just the opposite, if a firm has
small profit margins, it can't gain much from lowering the price any
more, but can gain from promotional type things such as free bathrooms
and free bags?

Jason