I wonder if entry is cheap. To effectively enter this market, you have to do more than
edit articles and print copies of the journal. You have to attract valued
contributions and thereby, readers. I believe contributors send articles to journals
on the basis of their brand name. How can a journal build its brand name? Have any
journals sought to build a brand name by paying well-known scholars for their
contributions for several years?

The most expensive academic journals are in the fields of science, technology and
medicine. European commercial publishers who charge thousands for an annual
institutional subscription own the most prestigious of these journals. A few years ago
a few American universities looked into starting up their own competitors to the STM
leaders. Nothing came of it. I suspect they discovered that entry costs were high as
was the risk of failure.

Academic books cost a lot because their markets are small (300-500 copies on average
per title) while production costs are relatively high. Total production costs for an
academic press run of 500 copies are in the $30,000 range. Unit sales are so small in
part because universities heavily subsidize book production. Even if all the subsidies
were dedicated to the demand side (or were eliminated), academic books would be
expensive compared to the average trade book. Without production subsidies, however,
there would many fewer producers. And the world would be a better place.

John Samples
Cato Institute