I have taken the liberty of changing the subject line since the discussion seems to
have shifted.

Given that this is the Armchair list, what would economists make of an industry that
works like this:

A firm (the university) hires employees (professors) to make products (articles) that
are then given gratis to other firms (journal publishers) who produce a product (a
journal) that is then sold back to a part of the original firm (the university
library) who buys it on behalf of other parties (its faculty) who by and large will
not spend their own money on the product (and do so only when there is severe price
discrimination in their favor). Academic books fit the same model except the product
is sold to the publisher but the proceeds go to the employee and not the firm that
originally invested in the writing of the book.

Steve Landesberg recently remarked to me in relation to his experience with university
administration that it's clear universities are maximizing something, but it's not
clear what. Perhaps by publishing journals, universities maximize the quality of
students who seek admission.

John Samples

Cato