There is another reason howevr. Even the lowest cost index mutual funds have more
overhead then you are going to have if you use a discount broker and buy and hold (and
they hide these costs

Who is the "they" - mutual funds or discount brokers?  And how are they
being hidden?

>>>I've been told by a Law Professor who works on security regulation that the
>management fees reported by index funds do not fully reflect the costs they incur for
>reballencing their portfolio's to match market shares and that the actual costs are a
>multiple of the reported management fees. It was claimed that if one compared the
>return on the S&P500 to the return on holding the mutual fund the difference in basis
>points would be larger than the reported management fees. I told this to a stock
>broker who insisted that that was wrong or that I had misunderstood and that perhaps
>what the law professor meant was that because the fund incurs capital gains in the
>process of dealing with fluctuations in invested funds and these have to be paid out
>and taxed that that would account for the difference between the afrter tax return
>from holding the market yourself and holding the mutual fund. Take your pick. I don't
>have first hand knowledge to judge.

Discount brokers can really beat a .2% annual fee with no loads on
either end?

>>>For sure. Most brokerage houses don't have any fees other than fees for trading.
>Even if you have a round-trip cost of $100 for $10,000 worth of stock (you can do
>much better than this - - $14 is not out of the question) if you hold it for 20 years
>you are way ahead of a .2% annual fee. But again, according to my sources the actual
>difference in performance between holding yourself and holding in the lowest cost
>mutual fund is a lot more than .2% per year.
- - Bill Dickens