> In the real world we have almost 600 in Congress, dealing with
> innumerable matters more or less simultaneously.  One of the things each
> CongressCritter does is to decide what to do not  about, say, farm
> subsidies generally, but about SB1234, sponsored by Sen. This and Sen.
> That, which goes through specific committees with specific members, at
> specific times, during which times specific other things are happening,
> and other things are reasonably foreseeable (to happen or to avoid).

Let me add a very non-economic note to this discussion. The economic
approach to studying policy outcomes is essentially some combination
of median voter theorem and public choice - ie, how much can the
politician screw the voter before getting fired?

Some political scientists have taken the approach outlined the above post.
They understand policy outcomes as the result of institutions,
networks of politicians,lobbyists and gov't bureaucrats and
exogenous events (Ie, the terrorist attacks, Enron) that frame policy.
The focus here is on the stuff that happens between the voter
and the politicians.

I don't think these approaches are really in conflict but what they
do is capture different parts of the political procss. The median
voter thing seems to capture the broad outlines of politics. America
won't turn into Sweden just cause Tom Hayden read Robert's Rules
of Order one day. Public opinion and honest elections set the broad
paramters for what politicians can accomplish.

OTOH, the gov't does so much stuff that politicians have to depend
on committees, lobbiests (sp?) and gov't agencies to get anything passed.
How can a semi-comprehensible law on uranium mining or Alaskan fishing
rights be passed without consulting a million committess, the GAO
or affeced parties? Furhtermore, all sort of random events may
abruptly change how people percieve a law and add to this mix
ths interactions between politicans and voters. Remember,
you can do anything you want - if you can convince the median voter
it was ok!

If you buy this second story, then it's quite easy to see how
individual policies may deviate greatly from the median voter.

Fabio