--- Bryan Caplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [The median voter] probably passed the whole year without even remembering
> the existence of accounting regulations!  The median voter thus favored
> the status quo by default.

That is somewhat toward my point.  But it's not that Mr. Median "favored" the
status quo by default.  Rather, he was ignorant and apathetic about it.  He
didn't know enough to favor it or not, and did not have the incentive to find
out.  Only when disaster happens does Mr. Median become aroused enough to
"favor" a policy.

As I see it, the three segments of political arousal are antipathy, sympathy,
and apathy.  Mr. Median "favors" a policy when he is in the first two, and is
out of the picture in the last one, apathy.  That is when the special
interest can have their way.

Mr. Median, having lost a fortune, is now antipathetic towards the corporate
evil doers, and hence sympathetic towards reform.  Only in such cases can the
moneyed interests be overcome.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]