In a message dated 7/31/02 4:30:50 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I'm not sure this is right. If you look at what the public say they would
like in a government health care program it is huge and very expensive (in
contrast I suspect if you asked how much they would like to spend on it the
amount would be too small to pay for what they would like to see in the
package). As I understand it, the cost of the medicare program turned out to
be much greater than expected, but not because congress kept changing the
legislation to add more goodies. Rather treatment became increasingly more
expensive. I suspect that popular opinion would have preferred to see an even
bigger medicare program at the start. Of the examples you mention I suspect
that only the income tax was sold on the basis of its limited size. - - Bill
Dickens >>

All my books remain packed in boxes, so I can't look up the figures, but I
seem to recall that the Congressional proponents of Medicare projected an
ten-year federal outlay of some $8 billion, as opposed to the annual outlay
of $110+ billion now.  I can't concieve of the vast majority of Americans
supporting a program that would have cost two orders of magnitude greater
than projected.  Typically one of the selling points of federal programs is
that "they won't cost too much."  Indeed, weren't Public Choice folks here at
GMU among the first to explain how groups wanting concentrated benefits can
get them by spreading the cost over the larger group of taxpayers, making
each taxpayer's share tiny and thus not worth the cost of opposing?

Sincerely,

David Levenstam