On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Fred Foldvary wrote:

> If the average cost, say for mosquito abatement, would be $5, and that person
> states he would pay up to $10 for it, then he is knowingly contributing to
> the total stated value, and if the total value exceeds the cost, is willing
> to pay the $10, regardless of his reason.  All we really should care about is
> how much he is willing to pay.  There can be all sorts of reasons why one
> would favor a program.  One could, for example, favor a freeway because he
> thinks it helps birds navigate, even if in fact it does not.  No matter, he
> is willing to put up bucks, and that is what counts.

The important point is that there's a disjoint between the willingness to
pay and the actual payment: an expressed vote preference, even in the
dollar terms of the Tideman-Tullock procedure, leads only
probabilistically to actual requirements to pay the amount.  If the
expressive voter is risk neutral, faces a 1/million chance of being
decisive and having to pay, and derives expressive benefits of $1 from
saying "I like poor children so much, I just voted $1 million in favour of
program X that will help the poor", the voter will "reveal a
preference" of one million dollars for program X.  Of course, risk
aversion will mitigate this somewhat, but if inefficient programs give
larger expressive benefits, then instituting the Tideman-Tullock procedure
will lead to worse outcomes.

Eric