Alex Tabarrok wrote:
> > Races are public goods?!  How do I benefit if some other people run
> > a race with each other?   Is this just due to some externality that
> > healthy people produce in general?
>
>Recall that the definition of public goods is not a good that is good
>for the public! :) The definition is in terms of non-rivalry and non-
>excludability of which non-rivalry is the more critical component.  My
>point was simply that the output produced by someone running a race is
>non-rivalrous.  Thus, the charitable racer can collect donations from
>any number of people for running the same race.

People could organize a race, and solicit donations to support the race.
People can also run some other charity, like for a cancer, and solicit
donations to support that charity.  The question is why these two
charities are so often combined.  Many people would not give
money to someone soliciting for a race by itself, or for someone
soliciting for a cancer charity by itself, but they do give money
to someone soliciting for a cancer run.  Why the extra willingness to
donate to this combined solicitation?

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323