----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Crampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>The upshot isn't that
> government science is entirely ineffective, it's that it displaces private
> science spending dollar for dollar.  The question then isn't how effective
> government science is, it's how effective the private science foregone
> would have been.

So if we were to look at ratios of government-financed research to
privately-financed research in various countries, after adjusting for total
levels of spending, do countries with proportionately greater private
funding for research achieve proportionately greater practical results,
equal results, or poorer results? Does anyone have any idea?

~Alypius Skinner