I've got a non-technical paper on this issue. I looked at the Vermont/New Hampshire border. Until Vermont implemented a sales tax in 1969, per capita retail sales in the counties bordering the Connecticut River in Vermont and New Hamsphire were identical. Since then the Vermont sales tax has gone from 3% to 5%. New Hampshire's is 0%. Today, per capita retail sales are 60% higher on the NH side compared to the VT side. The paper can be accessed at http://www.vteconomy.com/Border.pdf

Art Woolf