> john hull wrote:
> > I could have sworn that there was a one cent deposit
> > in California.  Maybe I'm mistaken.
>
> I think it's a nickel - but either way,
> there's no obvious way to recover it.
> Anton Sherwood, http://www.ogre.nu/

The deposit varies, which is why the amount is not inscribed on bottles,
only "CA redemption" or similar.

There is a way to recover the deposits - bring the bottles to a collection
center, such as at many Safeway supermarkets.

Most people don't want to bother, which is why there is a booming industry
in bottle collection by "street people".  A couple of guys come by my
street every week looking in garbage cans for bottles.

The collection center gives the recycler a receipt, which can then be used
at Safeway for purchases.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]