I don't see how too much capital could cause a recession, or indeed how it's
possible to have too much capital.  Do you mean too much credit, too much
borrowed capital?  The notion of too much borrowed capital fits with both
Austrian and monetarist theories of recession.

Since I first studied taxs as an undergraduate accounting major, I've opposed
the double-taxation of dividends that the federal government imposes under
the federal income tax.  I've never heard a good reason advanced for taxing
someone's income twice, or, for that matter, even much of a bad reason.

If you read the debates in Congress over passage of the first federal income
tax law under the 16th Amendment (which incidentally wasn't the first
constitutional federal income tax, contrary to popular view) you'll see that
they planned to tax income closest to the source, which is why they imposed
an income tax at the corporate level.  That also taxed the income regardless
of whether the corporation actually paid it to the shareholders or not.  They
didn't plan to tax dividends, and indeed under the first law they passed
didn't they did not impose the normal income tax on dividends.  They did
impose the high-income surtax on dividends, which might be regarded as
double-taxation, but that's not how they saw it.  Rather, they placed the
normal tax directly on the corporate income, and the surtax only on aggregate
individual dividends above a very large exemption, which they saw essentially
as simply a higher bracket on corporate income, but only for wealthier
individuals (if I'm explaning it at all lucidly).

During World War I, however, Congress basically taxed everything in
sight--and a good deal hidden from sight as well.  :)  Congress applied the
normal tax to dividends during its taxing binge and, well, just never let go.
 Since then dividends have suffered double-taxation in America.  Of course
the majority of Americans didn't pay any income taxes until World War II, but
a substantial fraction did pay throughout the 1920s.

David Levenstam