Dan,
even more than direct/indirect, you need to specify what is "neutral".
Given democracy, one (adult) person, one vote, a strong case can be made
for a "neutral" poll tax.
Of course it is not "progressive" like most income taxes.  Flat rate
taxes, sales/VAT taxes, even land taxes, affect some more than others.

My own preferences are more towards a flat(er) tax, with a large (poverty
level) deduction, and rates tending down (to zero?); a land tax, split
between local, state, and federal (1/3 each? 50-25-25?); and ever increasing
taxes on pollution.  I am constantly annoyed at the greens wanting huge
regulation but unwilling to support higher pollution taxes.
Um, to get rid of the last 5% of income taxes, I'd even support deficit spending
printing money (inflation, another fairly "neutral" tax,
of about 2-3% per year).

But of the course the MAIN problem is on the benfit side -- so many voters
want, claim, demand, and only-vote-for those politicos who offer their
favorite benefits.  The demand for benefits drives the demand for tax
revenue.

And the coming (2020) Social Security baby boomer elephant-sized funding gap
is gonna be a HUGE increase in benefit demand.
Europe is even more vulnerable than the US or the UK.
Sigh.  "What is to be done?"  (someone said that... I know, what's is name
the commie!)

Tom Grey