In a message dated 1/17/03 9:47:31 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Here's my prediction of what will happen: a 20-30 percent sales tax
>
>will be implementen - but because of massive fraud (making headlines,
>
>etc.), the sales tax will be changed to a VAT (valua dded tax) like we
>

>have in Europe. When Britain went from sales tax to VAT, the number of
>

>public administrators 6-doubled - and the number of affected private
>
>entities 19-doubled
>

>jacob braestrup
>
>Danish Taxpayers Association

At that Iowa speech of Senator Lugar's I saw how quickly a national sales tax
might devolve into a vat.  one person complained to Lugar that if he bought a
mower for his home he'd have to pay the tax but if he bought it for his
business he wouldn't and that didn't seem fair.  another conservative
republican then suggested that the tax be broadened to cover both and viola!
we were already off to the races down the slippery slope to a vat. just
imagine now how much more quickly liberal Democrats would arrive at the
bottom.

DBL