--- Eric Crampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Fred Foldvary wrote:
>
> > 2) The government does not know the economic rent among the basketball
> > teams, but it does know that the next best opportunity if he does not
> play basketball is $100,000.  The government taxes the income above
$100,000 at, say, 90 percent, providing an incentive for the player to
accept the best offer, but still taking most of the economic rent. <<

> Ummm...wouldn't we rather quickly see teams stop offering wages above
> $100K and offering in-kind benefits instead?

Not if the benefits are taxed the same as wages.
The issue is whether there is a neutral tax, and I concocted an example of
one.  The example premise is that income above $100K is taxed at 90%, and
in-kind benefits are income.  This is an example for illustration, and
bringing in other data changes the premise.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]