On Sunday 26 January 2003 09:30 am, William Sjostrom wrote:
> I had recently had a visitor, my wife's 19 year old nephew, who came from
> the States to stay for a couple of weeks.  Winter weather in the UK and
> Ireland is always damp and cold, generally conducive to bad colds.  His
> dress was teenage fashion, at least where he comes from: a t-shirt and a
> short sleeve shirt, unbuttoned.  In a dry climate, this might be tolerable;
> in a damp climate it is deadly.  He adamantly refused to wear a sweater,
> and came down with a chest infection.

Has there ever been shown a correlation between clothing styles and infection
rates? I suppose cold could be an added stress, which could lower a person's
immunity, but my guess is that the exhaustion of transatlantic travel would
have been the greter stress. Add that to the introduction of a swarm of novel
(to him) infectious agents, and a cold seems inevitable.

> My puzzle is this.  I am familiar with only two rational choice explanation
> for fashions: information cascades and signaling.  Information cascades may
> explain why doctors use the same medicine, but I do not see how they
> explain odd clothing fashions, from bell bottoms to platform shoes.
> Signaling may explain weird clothes among teenagers, but I do not see how
> it can explain costly attachment to fashion where there is no one to
> signal.

Habit and (mental) comfort. That is, he *likes* those clothes.

--
Susan Hogarth
http://www.tribeagles.org/