In a message dated 1/30/03 6:19:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>This is a good point.  But it can be handled by giving the midterm less
>weight to begin with.  You have an argument for giving a midterm a lower
>weight, but not a variable weight.  And I do give the midterm lower
>weight.

Indeed, one might take the logic to its extreme and use only a final exam for
the grade (or at least for the exam portion of the grade), as do law schools
and graduate tax programs associated with law schools.  Having completed
masters degrees in both taxation and history, I preferred having a final and
no midterm, and used only a final for the exam portion of the grade during my
first year of teaching at Iowa.  The undergraduates loved having no midterm,
but towards the end of the semester had substantially heightened levels of
anxiety, so I switched to having a midterm and a final.

In my undergraduate and first masters program days I tended to suffer from
what I called mid-semester slump.  I'd start out with the best of intensions,
then get distracted and not perform particularly well on my midterm exams.
For the finals though I'd study intensively and often pull off
end-of-semester miracles, getting grades my instructors thought impossible
for me based on my mid-term performance.  On more than one occasion I
benefitted from a higher weight to the final or even a variable weighting
system which regarded the exit value (as my cost accounting professor put it)
as substantially more important than any eariler value.  In the tax program,
which operated on the quarter system, I'd hit my slump right at finals, so
having all the grade in the final exam actually worked against me there.

I don't recall suffering the mid-semester slump during either my MA or PhD
programs in history, though I must say that I found graduate level courses in
history substantially easier than technical undergraduate courses.  I have
benefitted once and probably twice since the PhD program in history from
professors who raised the weight of my final work over my midterm work, and
I'm grateful.

I had a former student ask me for a recommendation recently and looking back
at my comments on his work I see that he got an A- rather than an A or even
A+ because his early work was mediocre.  In other words, I gave him a grade
based on fixed weights, his later brilliant work notwithstanding.  I've
always said though that I wouldn't want to have me as an instructor.  :)

DBL