Do I have to avoid a preference-based explanation?  What if I dig up some
evidence of trends in human behavior that support my claim?

Maybe what angers voters is not the scandal, but hypocrisy.  Someone who is
perceived as "liberal" on social issues is less of a hypocrite for having an
affair than is someone who runs on a "family values" platform.

But I can only pretend to know how most voters think.  Many surveys give me
a good idea of *what* they think, but why is another matter.