Otherwise, perhaps people feel
> a social
> obligation to help support children in the society.

This behavior might also be for PR purposes. If some textile worker is laid off b/c
their labor is more expensive than foreign they might not be as likely to play the
part of Marxian victim of industry to the media with all the [rationally] irational
remarks that come with that if their kids were relatively cheap to provide medical
insurance for. That of course assumes that employers of unskilled laborers behave
similarly to the employers of skilled labor. I'd speculate that this is the
case....unskilled laborers have a versatile set of skills, and a wide universe of
prospective employers if they lose a job, thus the costs of groaning after losing it
are low. On the other hand, an immature response if one was fired from a proffesional
position might have more dire consequences, and thus possibly a lower chance of say, a
fired law partner complaining to the media.

Daniel L. Lurker