Hi.
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Stellaw Chao<stellaw.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear aroma.affymetrix developers,
> I am a little bit confused while using ur package aroma.affymetrix to
> process my dataset.
> The following is my code——
>
> setwd("C:/Array Files_CP2Bonly")
> library("aroma.affymetrix")
> cs <- AffymetrixCelSet$fromName("HapMap100K-bioc2007",
> chipType="HG-U133_Plus_2")
> qn <- QuantileNormalization(cs)
> csQN <- process(qn, verbose=TRUE)
> plm<-RmaCnPlm(csQN,combineAlleles=TRUE, mergeStrands=TRUE)
> fit(plm, verbose=TRUE)
>
> after the RmaCnPlm procedure, a set of new CEL Files(e.g.
> "Mao101C075B,chipEffects" for an original CEL file "Mao101C075B") are
> generated, yet I am not very clearly about the meaning of these new
> Files, as their sizes are much smaller than the original ones (590KB
> vs.13,225KB)

They hold the summarized signals (in contrast to one per probe).  You
should access the signals in those files using extractMatrix(),
extractTheta(), or extractDataFrame() which are available for single
arrays (files) as well as sets of arrays (files), e.g.

ces <- getChipEffectSet(plm);

ce <- getFile(ces, 2);
theta <- extractTheta(ce, units=1001:1012);
theta <- extractTheta(ces, units=1001:1012);

data <- extractDataFrame(ce, units=1001:1012, addNames=TRUE);
data <- extractDataFrame(ces, units=1001:1012, addNames=TRUE);

See also vignette:

http://groups.google.com/group/aroma-affymetrix/web/calculating-raw-total-copy-numbers-manually

Unless you're a developer, consider those *,chipEffects.CEL files to
be internal files of aroma.affymetrix.  The details is that they only
hold one cell ("probe") signal per unit group ("probeset"), which is
also why they are smaller.  They are read using the corresponding
"monocell" CDF created automatically, e.g.
HG-U133_Plus_2,monocell.cdf.  See print(getCdf(ces)).

/Henrik